Ads 468x60px

"Barefoot Bandit", was standing upright in orange robes prison before Judge Vickie I. Churchill in a small courtroom here on Friday and was sentenced to seven years and three months in prison. His hands were folded in front of him, because they were shackled, and he struggled to hold back tears as he pleaded guilty to 33 state charges, including theft and identity theft.The young man eluded police for more than two years, becoming something of a folk hero in the process to crash the plane in the Bahamas.The state asked the court to sentence Mr. Harris-Moore, 20, for a maximum period of nine years and eight months. His lawyer, John Henry Browne, asked for six years, saying that his client's deeds can be explained, in particular, it concerns education.

"I'm not surprised that Colton survived five crash, but I am quite amazed that he survived his mother," Mr. Brown said.Investigation of childhood, Mr. Harris-Moore, commissioned by the defense focused on his mother, Pamela Kohler, who was described as a hard alcoholic who has reviewed the disability on beer and cigarettes instead of food. Neighbors said she would shoot her gun into the woods, while swearing lustily.If Mr. Harris-Moore was 10 years old, a social worker wrote: "The food is inside the fridge was damaged, except for a dozen eggs. Freezer, contained a bag of potato chips and was completely covered with mold."As a child, Mr. Harris-Moore was obsessed with drawing planes. He had many friends - among them, and animals that lived on five acres of his mother. He called the chicken and loved his dogs, Cody and Melanie.Mr. Harris-Moore fended for themselves, stealing food from the homes of their neighbors, the report said. At age 16 he was sentenced to three years in juvenile home group, but he ran away for several months. Move through the evergreen forests of the San Juan Islands north of Seattle, he sometimes went barefoot, so the nickname.

 By 2008, Mr. Harris-Moore squeezed his 6-foot-5 frame in his first stolen plane he crash-landed in the State Central Washington. He had no formal training flight. Two years later, the police on his trail, he went to Indiana, where he stole a Cessna and flew it to the Bahamas. There, in the summer of 2010, Mr. Harris-Moore was arrested after leading specialists in high-speed boat chase.In June, Mr. Harris-Moore pleaded guilty to seven federal charges. He will be sentenced the charges next month in Seattle. He agreed to pay for aircraft and other items he stole from the proceeds of $ 1200000 movie deal.His lawyer gave him the psychological tests, which concluded that Mr. Harris-Moore did not, contrary to popular myth, which has evolved around it, have a great IQ psychiatrist for the defense also pointed out that his mother drank while she was pregnant with him, According to him, probably influenced his development.

Ms. Keller, who still lives in the trailer, where she raised her son, is tacked to the "No Trespassing" signs of the two that flank the cedars of his long road. She did not reply to a note left in her mailbox requesting a comment. She also attend the hearing request by Mr. Harris-Moore on Friday morning.Neighbors on Camay Island this week reiterated that Mr. Harris-Moore, frustrating as it is, "never stood a chance." Neighbor who lives two doors from the site where Mr. Harris-Moore grew up put it this way: "It is not a folk hero. He's just a punk kid."On the supply Tyee, down the road, Helen Simmons, 83, said she felt the love of a boy who used to steal beef jerky and potato chips from his small shop. Other robbers could not figure out how to disarm her alarm, she said. "He did not take alcohol or cigarettes," Ms. Simmons said. "He was interrupted. He was hungry."The history of Mr. Harris-Moore also moved contempt Judge Churchill. "We can not excuse people because of their upbringing," she said, "but we recognize that, that education has an impact."